Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many events around the world are being cancelled or postponed. Please be sure to visit the official website of any event you are planning to attend to ensure that is has not been canceled.
Black Rock City, Nevada, United States
The next Burning Man will be happening sometime in the future.
Typical Attendance: 70000
Annual Summer Festival
Ages: From 0 To 100
This festival's page is updated and maintained by volunteers and moderators. This festival has not been claimed yet. Please contact us to update any out of date information.
If you are associated with this festival then you may claim this entry and keep the data up to date.
About Burning Man
Words from the festival
"Our mission is to produce the annual event known as "Burning Man" and to guide, nurture and protect the more permanent community created by its culture. Our intention is to generate society that connects each individual to his or her creative powers, to participation in community, to the larger realm of civic life, and to the even greater world of nature that exists beyond society. We believe that the experience of Burning Man can produce positive spiritual change in the world. To this end, it is equally important that we communicate with one another, with the citizens of Black Rock City and with the community of Burning Man wherever it may arise. Burning Man is radically inclusive, and its meaning is potentially accessible to anyone. The touchstone of value in our culture will always be immediacy: experience before theory, moral relationships before politics, survival before services, roles before jobs, embodied ritual before symbolism, work before vested interest, participant support before sponsorship. Finally, in order to accomplish these ends, Burning Man must endure as a self-supporting enterprise that is capable of sustaining the lives of those who dedicate themselves to its work. From this devotion spring those duties that we owe to one another. We will always burn the Man."
The Ten Principlesof Burning Man
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.
Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.
Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.
Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.
Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.
Rate Burning Man
In The News!
- With Burning Man Cancelled, Attendees Lend Trailers To Sacramento Health Workers In Isolation - Capital Public Radio News Apr 28, 2020
- Burning Man assessing 2020 event plans; considering refund options for ticketholders - Reno Gazette Journal Mar 21, 2020
- Burning Man ticket sale planned for April amid coronavirus - New York Daily News Mar 17, 2020
- Burning Man Culture in a Time of Plague - burningman.org Mar 17, 2020
- Burning Man is monitoring coronavirus; event still a go - Reno Gazette Journal Mar 05, 2020
- Burning Man continues to push forth with lawsuit against the U.S. Federal Government - Dancing Astronaut Feb 24, 2020
- Burning Man Sues The U.S. Government Over Intensifying Land Permit Prices - Forbes Feb 21, 2020
- Zappos will use Burning Man 747 jet for downtown project - Las Vegas Review-Journal Feb 17, 2020
- Desert Meets Default At Burning Man (excerpt) - KALW Feb 05, 2020
- Tech News Roundup / The Intersection At Burning Man - KALW Feb 05, 2020
- Burning Man Organizers Reveal Increase In 2020 Ticket Prices - TicketNews Feb 03, 2020
- Burning Man reveals 2020 temple design - Dezeen Jan 27, 2020
- The Reno Art Trail, where Burning Man spectacles come alive all year round - The Mercury News Jan 27, 2020
- Burning Man reveals Multiverse Man structure for 2020 festival - DJ Mag Jan 27, 2020