Black Rock City, Nevada, United States
Aug 25, 2019 - Burning Man 2019 starts in 155 days!
Typical Attendance: 70000
Annual Summer Festival
Ages: From 0 To 100
About Burning Man
Words from the festival
"Our mission is to produce the annual event known as "Burning Man" and to guide, nurture and protect the more permanent community created by its culture. Our intention is to generate society that connects each individual to his or her creative powers, to participation in community, to the larger realm of civic life, and to the even greater world of nature that exists beyond society. We believe that the experience of Burning Man can produce positive spiritual change in the world. To this end, it is equally important that we communicate with one another, with the citizens of Black Rock City and with the community of Burning Man wherever it may arise. Burning Man is radically inclusive, and its meaning is potentially accessible to anyone. The touchstone of value in our culture will always be immediacy: experience before theory, moral relationships before politics, survival before services, roles before jobs, embodied ritual before symbolism, work before vested interest, participant support before sponsorship. Finally, in order to accomplish these ends, Burning Man must endure as a self-supporting enterprise that is capable of sustaining the lives of those who dedicate themselves to its work. From this devotion spring those duties that we owe to one another. We will always burn the Man."
The Ten Principlesof Burning Man
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.
Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.
Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.
Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.
Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.
Rate Burning Man
In The News!
- Burning Man finally fights Instagram culture and bans high-end camp - The Guardian
- Burning Man Is Returning To Their Roots Ahead Of 2019 Ticket Sales - UPROXX
- How The Culture Of Burning Man Alone Creates A Pop-Up City Of 70,000 Participants Each Year - Forbes
- From Electric Picnic to Burning Man: the life of an Irish event producer - The Irish Times
- Elon Musk's Foundation Paid for This 2013 Burning Man Temple - Inverse
- Elon Musk's billions have made it to Burning Man and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Mashable
- Watch now: Dierks Bentley lights the flame on the Burning Man Tour - kwbe
- 33-Foot Tall Robot Sculpture Created For Burning Man Is Now In Philly - CBS Philly
- The playlist of the 2018 Burning Man Temple Burn - Boing Boing
- Dierks Bentley Hilariously Takes to the Rink in New Promo Video for 2019 Burning Man Tour (On Ice) - Sounds Like Nashville
- Cincinnati Art Museum bringing 'The Art of Burning Man' to the Queen City - WCPO
- Burning Man's 2019 temple gets back to basics - The Architect's Newspaper
- Burning Man unveils shrine-inspired temple design for 2019 - Mixmag
- Burning Man festival left too much trash at its desert location, federal officials say - Global News