Black Rock City, Nevada, United States
Aug 25, 2019 - Burning Man 2019 starts in 69 days!
Typical Attendance: 70000
Annual Summer Festival
Ages: From 0 To 100
This festival's page is updated and maintained by volunteers and moderators. This festival has not been claimed yet. Please contact us to update any out of date information.
If you are associated with this festival then you may claim this entry and keep the data up to date.
About Burning Man
Words from the festival
"Our mission is to produce the annual event known as "Burning Man" and to guide, nurture and protect the more permanent community created by its culture. Our intention is to generate society that connects each individual to his or her creative powers, to participation in community, to the larger realm of civic life, and to the even greater world of nature that exists beyond society. We believe that the experience of Burning Man can produce positive spiritual change in the world. To this end, it is equally important that we communicate with one another, with the citizens of Black Rock City and with the community of Burning Man wherever it may arise. Burning Man is radically inclusive, and its meaning is potentially accessible to anyone. The touchstone of value in our culture will always be immediacy: experience before theory, moral relationships before politics, survival before services, roles before jobs, embodied ritual before symbolism, work before vested interest, participant support before sponsorship. Finally, in order to accomplish these ends, Burning Man must endure as a self-supporting enterprise that is capable of sustaining the lives of those who dedicate themselves to its work. From this devotion spring those duties that we owe to one another. We will always burn the Man."
The Ten Principlesof Burning Man
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.
Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.
Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.
Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.
Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.
Rate Burning Man
In The News!
- This year's Burning Man festival hangs in the balance pending federal decision - San Francisco Business Times May 30, 2019
- New Photobook Documents the Notorious Burning Man - In The News - Fine Books & Collections Magazine Apr 17, 2019
- Burning Man attendees take stand against drug searches, dumpsters at festival - USA TODAY Apr 09, 2019
- Google has acquired the majority share of Burning Man - Mixmag Apr 01, 2019
- Burning Man CEO announces changes to 2019 ticket sales - KRON4 Mar 29, 2019
- Burning Man changing ticket sales to become more inclusive - KGO-TV Mar 31, 2019
- Burning Man organizers blast 'unreasonable' environmental impact report from BLM - SF Gate Mar 21, 2019
- Burning Man: A Journey Through a Desert Oasis of Art and Technology - Stanford University News Mar 18, 2019
- Austrian Town Tops Burning Man With Worldâs Tallest Bonfire - CBS Sacramento Mar 18, 2019
- Could there be 100,000 people at Burning Man? Draft BLM report analyzes impact on playa - Reno Gazette Journal Mar 16, 2019
- Dierks Bentley's Burning Man Live Show Reflects His Humility - Taste of Country Feb 25, 2019
- Burning Man Issues New Rules and Pricing to Weed Out Ultra-luxury Campers and Influencers - Travel+Leisure Feb 19, 2019
- Burning Man Just Banned High-End Camps, and For a Very Good Reason - Comic Sands Feb 17, 2019
- Burning Man finally fights Instagram culture and bans high-end camp - The Guardian Feb 14, 2019