Wilkesboro, North Carolina, United States
The next MerleFest will be happening sometime in the future.
Typical Attendance: 75000
Annual Festival Held in April
Ages: From 0 To 105
Connect with MerleFest
This festival's page is updated and maintained by volunteers and moderators. This festival has not been claimed yet. Please contact us to update any out of date information.
If you are associated with this festival then you may claim this entry and keep the data up to date.
Words From the Festival
MerleFest was founded in 1988 in memory of Eddy Merle Watson as a fundraiser for Wilkes Community College and to celebrate traditional plus music.
We are about the MUSIC, MOMENTS and MEMORIES!
The MUSIC of MerleFest was best explained by Doc himself: When Merle and I started out we called our music traditional plus, meaning the traditional music of the Appalachian region plus whatever otherstyleswe were in the mood to play. Since the beginning, the people of the college and I have agreed that the music of MerleFest is traditional plus.
The MOMENTS of MerleFest are those unique experiences that only happen here. It may be two musicians you never expected to see collaborating, a shooting star over the Watson Stage during an evenings closing set, or that one set that seems to have touched everyone in the audience.
The MEMORIES of MerleFest include the memory of Eddy Merle Watson, who we honor each day with The Tribute to Merle and the new memories we create each year we come together to celebrate MerleFest. Fond memories we will always cherish are those of Doc and his unending contributions to the festival, the college and the music world. At MerleFest, fans would always flock when Doc graced the stage with his amazing flat-picking style, rich baritone voice and humble presence a presence that will always be missed.
MerleFest, considered one of the premier music festivals in the country, serves as an annual homecoming for musicians and music fans. Held on the campus of Wilkes Community College in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, MerleFest was founded in 1988 in memory of the late Eddy Merle Watson, son of American music legend Doc Watson. MerleFest is a celebration of traditional plus music, a unique mix of music based on the traditional, roots-oriented sounds of the Appalachian region, including bluegrass and old-time music, and expanded to include Americana, country, blues, rock and many other styles. The festival hosts numerous artists, performing on 13 stages during the course of the four-day event. The annual event has become the primary fundraiser for the WCC Endowment Corporation, funding scholarships, capital projects and other educational needs.
Talent Submission: MerleFest proactively selects talent through its Artist Relations Team and does not accept or respond to unsolicited talent submissions (including email, voice mail, and snail mail)."
In The News!
- MerleFest 2020 Unveils Initial Lineup, Including Willie Nelson & Family, Alison Krauss and More - Relix Nov 14, 2019
- MerleFest 2020 Makes Initial Lineup Announcement - American Songwriter Nov 13, 2019
- MerleFest 2020: Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss Lead String Music Fest Lineup - Rolling Stone Nov 12, 2019
- MerleFest to Start Accepting Volunteer Applications on October 1 - Guitar Girl Mag Sep 23, 2019
- MerleFest Will Start Accepting Volunteer Applications On October 1 - Broadway World Sep 23, 2019
- MerleFest to Start Accepting Volunteer Applications on October 1 - High Country Press Sep 23, 2019
- MerleFest 2019 Doesn't Miss a Beat with DiGiCo - EtNow.com Jul 30, 2019
- Sylva library welcomes MerleFest winner - Smoky Mountain News Aug 06, 2019
- MerleFest success repeated - Wilkes Journal Patriot Apr 30, 2019
- MerleFest 2019 Keeps North Carolina Music Heritage In The Forefront - Grateful Web Apr 28, 2019
- MerleFest 2019 Keeps North Carolina Music Heritage In The Forefront - Broadway World Apr 28, 2019
- Seth & Scott Avett Team With Brandi Carlile At MerleFest - JamBase Apr 28, 2019
- Recap of another amazing MerleFest - Bluegrass Today May 02, 2019
- MerleFest 2019 Keeps North Carolina Music Heritage In The Forefront - Grateful Web Apr 29, 2019