Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many events around the world are being cancelled or postponed. Please be sure to visit the official website of any event you are planning to attend to ensure that is has not been canceled.
Wilkesboro, North Carolina, United States
The next MerleFest will be happening sometime in the future.
Typical Attendance: 75000
Annual Festival Held in April
Ages: From 0 To 105
Connect with MerleFest
This festival's page is updated and maintained by volunteers and moderators. This festival has not been claimed yet. Please contact us to update any out of date information.
If you are associated with this festival then you may claim this entry and keep the data up to date.
Words From the Festival
MerleFest was founded in 1988 in memory of Eddy Merle Watson as a fundraiser for Wilkes Community College and to celebrate traditional plus music.
We are about the MUSIC, MOMENTS and MEMORIES!
The MUSIC of MerleFest was best explained by Doc himself: When Merle and I started out we called our music traditional plus, meaning the traditional music of the Appalachian region plus whatever otherstyleswe were in the mood to play. Since the beginning, the people of the college and I have agreed that the music of MerleFest is traditional plus.
The MOMENTS of MerleFest are those unique experiences that only happen here. It may be two musicians you never expected to see collaborating, a shooting star over the Watson Stage during an evenings closing set, or that one set that seems to have touched everyone in the audience.
The MEMORIES of MerleFest include the memory of Eddy Merle Watson, who we honor each day with The Tribute to Merle and the new memories we create each year we come together to celebrate MerleFest. Fond memories we will always cherish are those of Doc and his unending contributions to the festival, the college and the music world. At MerleFest, fans would always flock when Doc graced the stage with his amazing flat-picking style, rich baritone voice and humble presence a presence that will always be missed.
MerleFest, considered one of the premier music festivals in the country, serves as an annual homecoming for musicians and music fans. Held on the campus of Wilkes Community College in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, MerleFest was founded in 1988 in memory of the late Eddy Merle Watson, son of American music legend Doc Watson. MerleFest is a celebration of traditional plus music, a unique mix of music based on the traditional, roots-oriented sounds of the Appalachian region, including bluegrass and old-time music, and expanded to include Americana, country, blues, rock and many other styles. The festival hosts numerous artists, performing on 13 stages during the course of the four-day event. The annual event has become the primary fundraiser for the WCC Endowment Corporation, funding scholarships, capital projects and other educational needs.
Talent Submission: MerleFest proactively selects talent through its Artist Relations Team and does not accept or respond to unsolicited talent submissions (including email, voice mail, and snail mail)."
In The News!
- MerleFest moving festival to September, 2021 | Music - Independent Tribune Aug 11, 2020
- MerleFest to stream 2012 festival - Morganton News Herald Apr 17, 2020
- A virtual MerleFest 2020 | Opinion - Wilkes Journal Patriot Apr 15, 2020
- MerleFest addresses Coronavirus concerns, plans "to stay the course for MerleFest 2020" - wataugaonline.com Mar 07, 2020
- Etheridge, four others added to MerleFest artist lineup - Wilkes Journal Patriot Jan 13, 2020
- Merlefest Brings Back the Folk and More - northernexpress.com Dec 14, 2019
- Merlefest Announces 2020 Lineup Featuring Willie Nelson & Family, John Prine and Alison Krauss - mxdwn.com Dec 10, 2019
- Willie Nelson and Alison Krauss will headline MerleFest 2020 - CLTure Nov 13, 2019
- Merlefest Announces Initial 2020 Lineup - JamBase Nov 12, 2019
- Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, and more announced in MerleFest 2020 lineup - WLOS Nov 12, 2019
- MerleFest 2020 Unveils Initial Lineup, Including Willie Nelson & Family, Alison Krauss and More - Relix Nov 14, 2019
- MerleFest 2020 Makes Initial Lineup Announcement - American Songwriter Nov 13, 2019
- MerleFest 2020: Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss Lead String Music Fest Lineup - Rolling Stone Nov 12, 2019
- MerleFest to Start Accepting Volunteer Applications on October 1 - Guitar Girl Mag Sep 23, 2019